This short course teaches you how to use on board hardware – specifically the GPS in this case. The steps taken are similar to accessing other types of hardware so once complete you’ll have a god idea of how to do it for your specific needs using on device hardware.
We also introduce the idea of communicating with web APIs (servers with data on them). I outline the ways you should think about doing this and how certain plugins can get us to the end result faster.
Finally I show you how to implement local notifications so you can send reminders to the end user (without needing to pay for a cloud notification service).
By the end you’ll have a simple app that looks great but actually contains a lot of complexity!
The app will:
- Access your location and ask for permission
- Ask you for your skin type (to determine max UV exposure)
- Retrieve weather data from an online service
- Calculate safe UV exposure time
- Offer to remind the user of overexposure
This is a great way to deep dive into a real app that could be released to the app stores!